Momentary Blindness 3

The sound of traffic racing on wet pavement, cars honking, and several trucks backing up filled the space.  As I began to listen more closely to my immediate surroundings, my body was taken away from the business of the city.  I noticed rushing water gushing through a metal pipe to the surface below.  The beautiful sound of birds singing and the fluttering of small wings distracted me from the rushing water.  I began to realize that this was one of the few moments spent in Rome where I couldn't hear anyone talking.  I was very thankful for the lack of feeling constantly surrounded by people, it brought me ease.  I placed my hand on the rough concrete ledge, as a cold breeze grazed the right side of my neck, slightly brushing my damp hair across my face.  Droplets of rain rolled down my back and brought a shiver down my spine.  My skin was sticky due to the thick humidity wafting around me, and I couldn't help but feel uncomfortable in my rain-soaked clothes.  The heat from the sun absorbed into my clothing.  The slight warmth brought relief to my cold body.   Standing in place began to hurt my blistered feet, so I took a few steps away from the rough ledge.  Realizing how slippery the ground below me was, I decided to stand still once again.  I took a deep breath in through my nostrils and smiled at the combined smells of wet grass, trees, and flowers.  This was my moment of tranquility.   

(Parco Cevello, May 28, 2019)

Comments