Giornale 3

After stopping at Forno for a couple of slices for the road, Joseph and I headed towards the Campo de 'Fiori.  We sat on the edge of the monument to Bruno, as we scarfed down our pizza.  Sooner than we anticipated, it began to pour again, so we took refuge under a tent selling every cheese known to man.  Of course, the rain made me realize just how badly I needed to use the bathroom, luckily the guys working at the Wok-To-Walk were sympathetic and pointed me in the direction of the ladies.  I came back to Joseph eating a monstrous container of stir fry.  This shouldn't have surprised me because Joseph has the appetite of a Skidmore athlete, but I was still struck by the site.  After taking a few bites of his food, I decided to order some noodles as well, which I shouldn't have done because I ate less than half, and the container exploded in my bag after being stuffed in there the remainder of the day.

We made our way to the tram and came across a bride and groom leaving a small church.  A crowd had formed as the two managed their way into a classic red Volkswagen bus.  The entire street began clapping as they rode down the cobblestone alley, a heart-shaped flower wreath hung off the back of the bus.  Realizing we had places to be, Joseph and I walked to the nearest stop and rode the tram one stop to the Piazza Venezia.  After trying to use the streetwise map to navigate for fifteen minutes, Joseph finally decided to use google, and before not much longer we were steps away from the Palazzo. 

As we walked through the portico, we purchased our tickets and entered into the beautiful courtyard.  Sadly, the grassy area was closed off, but from a distance, we still admired the fountain in the center.  Joseph and I raced up the steps and into the museum.  Huge crystal chandeliers hung from the ceilings, with massive works of art from the Baroque period on every wall.  Shuffling feet echoed through the open space.  We entered the second room, and I immediately noticed the mural above us.  Blue skies were filled with several white doves carrying beige olive branches in their beaks.  I recognized the symbolism here, of the papacy, the holy ghost, peace in Rome, and paradise.  This is a major symbol within the Pamphili family. 

We walked to a rectangular hallway, with open windows open to the courtyard below.  I noticed a painting of Saint Sebastian with arrows in his abdomen and shoulder, we had seen similar images elsewhere in Rome.  I continued down the hallway, at this point I had already lost Joseph but didn't hesitate to enter a room in the corner.  Against the pastel blue wall hung a painting of Innocent X, who was the pope during the 16th century.  I only knew this because he played a monumental role in the construction of the Piazza Navona, which I was lucky enough to present on.  I stood in the small room for several minutes gazing at the portrait.  I had never felt so close to a piece of art.  Being in the Palazzo Pamphili-Doria was the first moment, that I could truly read a space in Rome, using the knowledge I previously obtained.  It was an incredible feeling, that I couldn't get enough of.               


(Palazzo Pamphilj-Doria, Rome, May 26, 2019) 

Comments